Chit Chatting with Yvonne M. Morgan

 

Chit Chatting with Yvonne M. Morgan

Interviewed by: Jill Sheets



J: Tell us about yourself.


Y: Hi everyone. I’m Yvonne Morgan. A little about myself, I was born in Belfast, Northern Ireland and spent most of my summers there as I grew up and I also lived in Canada for eleven years before immigrating to the USA in 1974. I’m a mom to five children (two girls, an adopted set of twins and a son who lives in heaven). And, I’m a grandmother to five grandkids. I love Jesus, doing short-term mission trips and traveling.


J: Why did you decide to become a writer?


Y: I never intended to become a writer. After many years of short-term mission work, I felt God nudging me to write stories from the mission field. I laughed because I thought I was too old and I was not a writer. But the nudge would not go away. So, finally, I asked God to speak through my husband if this was really Him and not my imagination. And I told none of this to my husband. About a month later, Bill and I sat watching TV, and he looked over at me and asked how my book was coming along? I cried, and he asked what was happening. I told Bill the story, and he responded with, “I guess you’re writing a book.” So I did.


J: Tell us about your book Gypsy for God.


Y: Kathleen is a middle-aged woman who loses her job, which leaves her doubting herself and fearing the future. This event sends her on a journey to find purpose and meaning in her life. She flourishes in a new career as a travel agent, but fear and doubt keep her from experiencing all life has to offer. Finally, an unexpected encounter changes everything as God begins to reveal His plans to Kathleen. Each new country she visits brings her closer to finding her real purpose. This story offers hope for readers seeking meaning in their lives, regardless of their situation or age.


J: How did you come up with the idea for this book?


Y: We started going on mission trips in 1983 to honor our son after his death. For many years, everyone wanted to know about the travel aspect of our mission journeys. So after writing my other books, I wanted to try my hand at fiction and include travel to other places. We learn so much when we travel. And as I got older and retired, I thought the book should inspire people who think they are no longer as useful in life. I didn’t start writing till I was in my 50s, so I know God can use any of us, no matter our age or circumstances. So all that came together as Gypsy for God.


J: Were any of the characters based off of anyone that you know?


Y: Not exactly. With all our travels, we met many people from the countries in the book. I took general characteristics from the people I met and formed the people in the book. Kathleen, my main character, came from some struggles we all face as we get older. Kids move out of the house and our careers wind down. The struggle to wonder if we still have a purpose and if God can still use us. 


J: What was the hardest thing about writing this book?


Y: I think the hardest part was switching from non-fiction to fiction writing. The skill set was a lot different from I expected. It took a lot of change and a lot of rewriting to convey all the emotion and feelings that characters needed to display. I learned so many new writing skills and I’m thankful I stuck with it.


J: What would you like people to take away from Gypsy for God?


Y: The story offers hope to those readers seeking a godly purpose for their lives. A Gypsy for God shows how anyone can transform their lives and their world regardless of their situation or age. We are never too old or too for God to do incredible things for us and through us. And, in these days of increasing turmoil, I think hope is one of our most important messages that we can share with the world.


J: Tell us about your other books.


Y: So far, I have five other books out. My first book is a memoir that tells the tales from my years of short-term mission trips. It is called “Turning Mountains into Molehills.”

My second book was born out of COVID. I started writing prayers on Twitter each day during COVID and a publishing company approached me about putting them together in a prayer journal. It is called “Rest in God, A Prayer Journal”

My third book is a Bible study on 1 Corinthians 13:13 and it is called “Finding Faith, Hope, and Love in a Broken World.”

My next two books are children’s picture books. I could not find too many good Christian kid’s books when my grandchildren came along, so I wrote two. They are called “The Sad Little Wildflower,” and “ABC from the Bible.”


J: What are you currently working on? Can you tell us anything about it?


Y: I am finishing up another children’s book called “Mary the Missionary.” It’s a tale of a young girl who goes on her first mission trip with her parents to Kenya. I wrote the book as an early reader for children ages 7 or 8.

The next book up with probably be a sequel to Gypsy for God. I want to take Kathleen on more adventures and help her deepen her faith.


J: What are some things that God wanted you to do that were out of your comfort zone?

Y: Wow, He continuously calls me out of my comfort zone. The first way trip, I thought roughing it meant staying at places like Days Inn instead of Holiday Inns, lol. But I went, and it changed my life.

He also called me out when He nudged me to write, as I mentioned above. Now, out of the writing, I also do speaking engagements here and abroad. In mid-August, I’m off to Kenya to speak at a women’s conference. 

Each time I step out for God, He blesses me so much more than I could ever expect. 

J: Anything else you would like to add?


Y: If anyone is interested and would like to follow more about my mission work, they can check out the charity website at https://orphan-relief-effort.org/


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Temple of the Crystal Timekeeper

What I Need to Hear (Review of "Write Out Loud")