Chit Chatting with Patricia Eckerman Ambas



Chit Chatting with Patricia Eckerman Ambas

Interviewed by: Jill Sheets







J: Tell us a little bit about yourself.


P: I’m a self-proclaimed extrovert but realized I was an introverted extrovert because of the pandemic. Whatever roles I have, I take on as an identity, so I am a wife, mom of three littles, educator, writer, entrepreneur, and more. I grew up in a small town and made my university town my home since I married my college sweetheart who is from here. I love living on the lake and enjoying our amazing Filipino restaurant. I consider a movie/book/commercial good if it moves me to tears - joy or sorrow. 







J: Tell us about your book I Can't Wait to Love You Forever.


P: This book is so dear to me because it’s about a special time in our lives of welcoming another child. It’s monumental for children, and it’s heart-expanding for parents. Of course I wrote it so that a parent who has all the feels like me can’t help but tear up while reading it - that means it’s a good one! 



J: How did you come up with the idea for the book?


P: I’m sure this first part is very relatable. We were all home during the pandemic, and we began receiving more packages than usual since most of our shopping was done online. At the same time, we were expecting a sweet little baby who was so lovingly awaited. This highly anticipated baby combined with packages arriving often was the catalyst for my brilliant son to invent a game that helped him navigate the milestone he was going through: a transition that all older siblings must experience when welcoming a baby into the family.



J: What do your children think about your book?


P: My son was five when he invented the game, six when it was published, and now as a new seven year old, he still loves it! He loves that I wrote a character based off of him into a story with the game he invented. In my first draft, I didn’t include his name in the dedication, I just referenced him, but by request, his name is now explicitly written in. My daughter is 9 and she loves that I just published the big sister version of this book and she got to help choose the illustrations. Again, she isn’t the main character, but it’s based off of her, and one significant edit she made was having the main character with no bangs since my daughter doesn’t have bangs. And as for the baby, well, she is now 2 and her voice is the cutest when she calls out, “Ding Dong! Mama! Package!” 


J: What are you currently working on?


P: At the beginning of the month the sister version in the series was published:  I Can’t Wait to Love You Forever: A Big Sister Book. I’m working on getting it into the hands of families who need it! I’m also past the edits of my next book and am working with an illustrator for plans to release it this fall. The working title is “Good Morning, Sweetie” and it’s full of playful love just like the first two books I wrote. This one follows a sweet morning routine that is sure to help kiddos who may have tough mornings. 


J: Are you still a teacher?  What ages do or did you teach?


P: Yes, I’m still a teacher, but I’ve had to make changes.. I work with high school students, which is normal for me, but I only teach part time and this year it’s only online. Seeking this author path is very different from my previous thirteen years in one school district working at the middle and high school levels. That was the best because I got to meet my students in 7th grade and continue building relationships with them for the next six years even advising clubs like MultiCultural Club and Global Scholars. I still keep in touch with so many amazing former students.


J: What were some of your favorite books growing up?


P: I was a reader and devoured everything, but it was The Little House series that I re-read, and interestingly two other books I came across: The Gammage Cup by Carol Kendall and Kildee House by Rutherford G. Montgomery. I have no idea where they came from, likely Accelerated Reader prizes, but those latter books stayed on my nightstand through middle school and I would pick them up again and again.


J: Is it true that you have a family restaurant?  Tell us a little bit about it.


P: Yes! We do! I joke that my husband mentioned it when we were dating and I thought he meant as a retirement thing someday, but there we were, weeks after our wedding searching for the perfect downtown building in Oshkosh, WI. He had two goals: to help make the downtown a thriving community and to introduce Filipino food and culture to our mainly white, Midwest town. We’ve introduced a lot of people to the Philippines because of it and with our involvement the past ten years we’ve seen trends change and minds open and it’s been a lot of fun to see Filipino food come to the culinary forefront. If you haven’t tried adobo, it’s a must! Come visit me anytime at Manila Resto!


J: Are you on any social networking sites?  What about a website?


P: I have a website where it’s likely easiest to reach me by email or find out a bit more about me. I’m also on both Facebook and Instagram - Patricia Eckerman Ambas - let’s connect!


J:  Is there anything else you would like to add?


P: Yes! One final thing so that your followers can get some freebies that they will love. Both the Big Sister and the Big Brother books in the series, I Can’t Wait to Love You Forever, come with coloring pages for kiddos. This can be just for fun or if they really are welcoming a baby into their family. There’s also 5 quick tips for parents to use when they find they are adding a little one to their family. And for my fellow teachers, a reading lesson plan that is at the second grade level, but can be modified K-4. It includes all the hand-outs, English Learner tips, and a step-by-step walk-through of the lesson. Get it at ICantWaitToLoveYouForever.com Enjoy!   



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Temple of the Crystal Timekeeper

What I Need to Hear (Review of "Write Out Loud")