Chit Chatting with Raven Howell

 Chit Chatting with Raven Howell





J:  Tell us about your new book, "Blink and Glow." How did you come up with the idea for the book?

R: The initial inspiration for my story,
Blink and Glow, took root when I saw an enchanting illustration by Ann Pilicer (the book’s illustrator) of wide-eyed children gazing into a twinkling firefly-filled glass jar. It transported me back to my own youth, tumbled out into nature somewhere, a tomgirl climbing trees, building forts in fragrant lilac bushes, building fairy houses out of twigs and moss, delighted by the catch and release of “lightning bugs”. I wondered how many children’s communities today have that loving connection to our natural environment. Then I hoped that kids were aware of the respect and appreciation we owe to all living things, and that’s essentially where the idea for writing the book originated.


J:  Were any of the characters based on anyone?  If not, how did you come up with the characters?

R: The children in
Blink and Glow, Lily and Leo, are based on the children I meet these days in my classroom visits and other book events. They are curious, full of wonder, thoughtful and creative when given the chance. As for the other character in the story, Grandma interacts with Lily and Leo as my own mother has with me, prompting appreciation and kindness toward nature in all its forms.

J: What would you like children to take away from this book?

R: I hope children reading the book consider that our natural environment often dazzles with beauty, and thrives when it’s treated with respect, care, and tenderness. Perhaps it’s the very first prompt to inspire a future scientist, teacher or biologist. Wouldn’t that be wonderful?

J: Ann Pilicer is an amazing illustrator.  How did you find her to do the pictures for your books? 

R: Ann and I have worked together many years.
Blink and Glow is our fourth book as a team, and we stay in touch year-round even though I live in New York, and she lives in Florida. Our first project together was our picture book, So You Want a Puppy? (Handersen Publishing). Prior to that, we knew of each other from social media, and supported and admired each other’s work, so it was wonderful to actually start collaborating!

J:  What are you currently working on?

R: I am currently trying my hardest to stay on top of the incredible pile of writing I have to do! I’m a full-time writer and write for various kids’ magazines and journals and children’s educational publishers. I love my work; however, I have to adhere to deadlines. But deadlines keep me from becoming unorganized. And I’m in the middle of my usual summer book tour in the Northeast on top of everything else.


So as the book tour fun continues, whenever I have a moment, I’m working on final revisions of a couple of stories. One is a graphic picture book with the uber talented Brazilian illustrator and veteran in the art field, Alexander Santos, and the other book is STEM themed – something that was on my bucket list. When it comes together, my fingers are crossed it will be picked up for publication.

J: Tell us about some of your other books.

R: I’m extremely proud of my picture poetry books for kids. I particularly love providing elementary classrooms and teachers with children’s poetry because kids can always use a way to hook into the magic of poetry. The misperception of poetry being boring or too difficult to understand or write still lingers in younger generations.


The poems in THE 20 LITTLE POEMS FOR 20 LITTLE GNOMES and CHUCKLES AND SMILES are short and sweet, humorous and whimsical. Teachers and librarians usually reach for those books at children’s fairs and literary events I participate in.


This spring my preschooler truck book, KEEP TRUCKING, was released. We’ve been celebrating great reviews, and I’ve been reading it for story time events. The book is distinct because both males and females are depicted as not only truck drivers, but mechanics and those who maintain the vehicles. That’s the way it rolls these days!

J:  What is your writing process?

R: Writing poetry and writing a children’s story will usually start from a different place. Usually with a poem, I may see something in a unique way or share my wonderment and express it in verse. A story idea will often come when I see a need for something to be covered in children’s literature. Even if it’s been done a hundred times before, if I know I have my own spin on it, I’ll tackle a draft and then see if it takes me deeper.

J:  Where can people get more information on your books?

R: I’m active on social media for day-to-day fun stuff. My website is https://www.ravenhowell.com

J:  What advice would you give someone who wanted to be a children's writer?

R: Get ready to do lots of editing, be prepared for criticism you may not agree with, keep your fire stoked by staying inspired, trusting your gut will usually be the best choice. Remember to give yourself an inner smile now and again. Be open to the many ways to publish your work these days. Do your research, and especially if you’re in it for the long run, be professional, connect with your fellow authors, and get back up and keep on when you receive your first -or ninety-ninth rejection.

J:  Is there anything else you would like to add?

R: It’s been a team effort to produce BLINK AND GLOW, and we’re delighted to share the messages of childhood wonderment, compassion, and science in a fun storyline. To encourage creativity, the book includes a colorful “Make your own Firefly Sun Catcher “craft directive as a resource.

I’m honored that a portion of BLINK AND GLOW’s proceeds is donated to organizations supporting our natural environment, reforestation, and my favorite children’s literacy non-profit, Reading is Fundamental SoCal. So, keep a twinkle in your eye, a glowing light in your heart, and happy reading!


J:  Thank you for the interview.  Have a great day.

Thanks so much, Jill!



Comments

  1. That's a beautiful inspiration for *Blink and Glow*! Your connection to nature and those magical moments of childhood really shine through in your description. It's wonderful that you've turned those memories into a story that can inspire kids today to appreciate and respect the natural world. How have children responded to the book so far?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Temple of the Crystal Timekeeper

Review for Joni B. Cole's Book "Party Like It's 2044."

"Adriana" Review