Karadjordjevic Dynasty


Karadjordjevic Dynasty
Written by:  Jill Sheets

Image result for Dynasty: A True Story 

I have always been interested in Yugoslavia, reading books on the country and admired the breathtaking pictures.  I even wrote a report on it when I was in the 6th grade. I am not sure that my teacher was expecting me to write about it, but I did, and got an “A.”

In elementary school, I had made a list of all the places that I wanted to visit. Yugoslavia was at the top, followed by London, Scotland, Ireland, Italy, France, California, Spain and the list continues to grow. Even today, I would love to visit every place on my list.

I have been a fan of Christina Oxenberg since 1997. She is a wonderful writer and she can make me laugh. So when I heard about a new book that is coming out, I hinted heavily to my husband. Learning that she was going to write a book on her ancestors, I was so excited. Even though I know a book can take time to write, but I still could not wait to read it.

Finally, the book came out in 2015. Woo hoo!  But...there was a small problem.  I could not read Serbian. I wondered how long it would take for me to learn the language, as I thought back to how I did not do very well in Spanish. So, that was not an option. The only other thing I could think of was buying the book in Serbian and try to use google translate so I can read it in English.  That was not one of my best plans. So I had to be patient.  If you know me, I can hear you already laughing.  Patience is something I have not yet learned.

When “DYNASTY - A True Story” came out in English, I checked Amazon almost every day to see when it would finally be released.  Thanks to my mom, I got the book quickly, and I started to read. 

The book was hard to put down.  Every spare minute (like in the doctor’s office) I would read the book. This book was amazing, to learn what her family and her ancestors went through and the strength that they had.  The Karadjordjevic’s continue to have that same strength today.

There is just one more thing. If you are reading this, Christina:

Thank you for writing this book.  I loved it. And thank you for sharing about your family, ancestors and the Serbian history.

To everyone else, please check out “DYNASTY - A True Story.” This book was worth the wait.

Some of her websites:
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/author/wooldomination-695
http://wooldomination.com/




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Temple of the Crystal Timekeeper

What I Need to Hear (Review of "Write Out Loud")