Professional Patient

Professional Patient
Written By: Jill Sheets



I am a professional patient.  No... I am not a doctor, but a person that has had a lot of doctor appointments.  At times it seems like I live at my doctor's office.  I walk in, and they know me by name.  Whether this is a good thing or not, I still have not figured out.  It is hard to have to go to all these appointments, but there are things that people can do to make theirs run a little smoother.

When setting up your appointment, if possible, get the first appointment of the day.  When you get the first appointment of the day, it is less likely that your doctor will be behind.  By doing this, it will also cut down on your wait time, especially when you have to go back to work or school when you are finished.

The next thing you should do is write down any questions or concerns that you have.  That way you do not have to sit there and try to remember what you need to ask.  It is also good at this time to write down any medicines that you may be taking.  Do not forget to include anything that you are taking that is over the counter.  Do not think that anything you are taking will not count because it could.  The doctor will need to know what medicines you are taking if they if they have to prescribe you a new one, they can make sure there will not be any interactions with what you are taking.  Do not forget to take this list with you.  I find it better to put it in a notebook that way I can write down any information that they doctor gives me.  I do not rely on my memory.  I am doing well enough if I remember where I put the notebook after my appointment. Luckily, there are some doctor's offices that already have the list of medications you are on.
 
When you are talking to the doctor, do not be afraid to ask questions.  I used to be, and I found out that I had no clue what was going on and I had no idea what the medicine was for that they put me on.  Also, there are times when people (in general) will use work terms that the average person on the street may not understand.  Don't be afraid to tell your doctor that you do not understand, and if you are taking notes -- feel free to ask them how to spell it.  Some doctors have been known to go ahead and spell it for me. Not only is it better for you, but better for the physician. 

This brings me to the last thing I would like to cover.  I have been told by my doctors to "feel free look it up.  It is spelled..."  Do it.  This is your health.  Take some initiative and find out what is going on.  The one advice that I have to give is to be careful.  There are some websites that are not reliable -- so be careful.  Also, there is a chance if you type in a medical word that you could get a site that only a doctor would understand.  Find the sites that you can understand.

Get in charge of your health.  If you do not do it, no one will.  If there is something wrong, let the doctor know.  They cannot read your mind, even though I have expected mine too.  Write them a letter if you think they are not listening.



© 2016 JMS

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Temple of the Crystal Timekeeper

What I Need to Hear (Review of "Write Out Loud")